Vien Truong is a solutions innovator and movement builder who has been a key architect to building an equitable green economy. She is Chief Executive Officer of Dream Corps, which includes Green For All, a national initiative that puts communities of color at the forefront of the climate movement and equality at the center of environmental solutions. She has developed numerous energy, environmental, and economic policies and programs at the state, federal and local levels. She has advised on billions of dollars in public investments for energy and community development programs. Vien co-led the coalition to pass and implement California's landmark Senate Bill 535 (de Leon), a law that created the biggest fund in history for the poorest and most polluted communities -- to date it has reinvested over $800 million in disadvantaged communities most harmed by fossil fuel pollution. She also co-led Charge Ahead California, which will place one million electric vehicles to California in 10 years, especially ensuring that low income communities most impacted by pollution will benefit from zero tailpipe emissions. Vien has also received numerous congressional, state, regional and local awards for her work advocating on behalf of those most vulnerable to climate change. Vien recently received the White House Champion of Change award for her work on climate equity. Vien is a first-generation resident of Oakland, where she continues to live and invest in. She holds a B.A. from the University of California at Berkeley and a J.D. from the University of California Hastings College of the Law.
AWARDS & HONORS
- White House Champion of Change for Climate Equity. 2016
- California League of Conservation Voters. “Environmental Leadership Award” 2016
- “Power Shifter” on the Grist 50. 2016
- Yerba Buena Center Arts 100. 2016
- Transform. “Leadership, Innovation, Vision, Equity” Award 2015
- California Legislature. Senator Mark Leno. Certificate of Recognition. 2016.
- California Legislature. Assemblymember Phil Ting. Certificate of Recognition. 2016.
- California Legislature. Assemblymember David Chiu. Certificate of Recognition. 2016.
- San Francisco Chronicle, Top Women Leaders of San Francisco. 2013.
- California Legislature. Assemblywoman Fiona Ma. Certificate of Recognition. 2010.
- California Legislature. Assemblyman Sandré Swanson. Certificate of Recognition. 2009.
- California Legislature. Assemblywoman Mary Hayashi. Certificate of Recognition. 2009.
- Alameda County Board of Supervisors, Calif., “Proclamation: NBC Workers Day.” May 29, 2009.
- Congress. Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition. Congresswoman Barbara Lee. 2008.
- Congress. Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition. Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren. 2008.
- Congress. Certificate of Congressional Recognition. Congresswoman Jackie Spier. 2008.
- California Secretary of State, Debra Bowen. The Great Seal. 2008.
- City & County of San Francisco. Certificate of Honor. San Francisco Board of Supervisors. 2008.
APPOINTMENTS, COMMISSIONS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- State of California, California Freight Advisory Committee (2013 – 2015)
- City of Oakland, Planning Commission (2009 – 2013)
- American Planning Association Planning Officials Committee (2012 – 2013)
- City of Oakland, Fund for Children & Youth, Planning & Oversight Committee (2008 – 2009)
- Full Circle Fund, Environmental Program Community Fellow (2009 – 2011)
- Boards and Commission Leadership Institute. Urban Habit. Class of 2009
- California Democratic Party Delegate, Senator Loni Hancock Appointee (2008 –2010)
- Board member, East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (2009 – 2010)
- Board member / Co-Chair of Membership, Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance (2008 – 2010)
- Emerge California. Class of 2008
- Board member, U.S. Climate Action Network (2015 – Present)
- Board member, Clean Energy Works (2016 – Present)
- Board member, MegaPhone Strategies (2016 – Present)
Photo above by Hardy Wilson and courtesy of Bioneers.